Wisconsin eFiling Update

programmer on blurred background using futuristic connection interface 3D rendering

We code and know things

Jun 12, 2019 Vol 4, Issue 2

Oh, hey! It's been a while since our last update. Winter's not coming, but this lackluster leap from spring to summer got us lookin' like Bran Stark in Game of Thrones season 8. Despite the wavering weather, eFiling is on the rise. With just a few case types left to implement, the mandatory roll out for circuit court eFiling is almost complete and plans to provide additional electronic filing avenues are also solidifying. So, take a break from those Reddit GOT prequel threads and get the inside scoop on eFiling in Wisconsin Courts.

Supreme Court/Court of Appeals eFiling

Development of an electronic filing website for the Supreme Court and Court of Appeals is currently underway. The new application will offer many of the same conveniences afforded by the circuit court eFiling website, replacing current paper processes with an electronic platform for document and case management. Further details will be provided as the new application is completed. Piloting in the Fourth District Court of Appeals will be underway in the near future.

Circuit Court eFiling Updates

The circuit court eFiling website is slated to receive enhancements later this summer as well. Electronic filing capabilities will be expanded to include temporary restraining orders, juvenile judgments, juvenile CHIPS 68998-Waiver of Parental Consent (Jane Doe), and temporary physical custody requests. These case types round out the final leg of the mandatory eFiling implementation. We'll share more information on when and where the rollout will begin soon.

eFiling FAQs

Q. My eCourts account is locked.

The individual assigned to the eCourts account should send an email to ecourts.administration@wicourts.gov requesting that their account be unlocked.

Q. I forgot my password.

On the Wisconsin circuit court eFiling website, select the "Can't access your account or need a new PIN?" hyperlink. The system will assist you in resetting your password after you correctly respond to your security questions. If you don’t know the answers to your security questions, send an email to ecourts.administration@wicourts.gov requesting that your account be reset.

Q. I just opted into my case. Why can't I see it on the "My cases" portal?

The "My cases" portal shows only open cases and closed cases with future activities by default. If you are trying to view or file documents on a closed case, select the "Can't find a case? Click here to search." link near the top of the "My cases" portal and enter the county and case number or party name for the case you would like to see.

Q. When is a case considered "closed"?

The "closed" status indicates that the final judgment has been entered on the case. For example, a criminal case is closed when the judgment of conviction is entered; a family case is closed when the findings of fact, conclusions of law, and judgment are ordered by the court. There is often further court activity on a case after it is closed.

Q. Why can't I file documents even though I opted in?

If the message "opt in pending with the clerk of circuit court" appears next to your party when you are opting in, you already have an opt-in pending and will not be able to submit a second opt-in or file additional documents.

Q. I received the message, "Filing document is required." What does that mean?

New eFiled cases require an initiating document. The filing document type initiates a case, such as a summons and complaint or joint petition with minor children. Each case type (CV, FA, PA, etc.) has one or more filing document types established by the court system.

Q. I can't find the correct document type for the document I'm filing?

Document types are controlled by the case type and classification code chosen for the case. If the document being filed is not listed in the "Document type" list, choose the closest match from the list or choose "Other." If you do select "Other," be sure to type the full title of the document into the "Document title" field.

Q. How do I know when to file my document as a Word or PDF document?

Most documents should be submitted in PDF format (.pdf). However, certain forms or documents that require additional information to be entered by a court official may be submitted in Microsoft Word 2007 (or newer) format (.docx).

Q. How do I upload multiple documents at once?

To upload multiple documents, first select a file you want to upload and then press and hold the Ctrl key while selecting the remaining files you wish to upload.

Q. How are the filing fees determined?

Court costs and filing fees are statutorily set primarily in ch. 814 of the Wisconsin Statutes and are based upon the case classification code and document type. Answers to certain prompts may also trigger fees in the system.

Q. I have a filing in need of payment.

Payments can be made within a 48-hour timeframe by using the "Make a payment" link that displays in the Actions column on your My cases page. You can also access the filings in need of payment from the "Filings in need of payment" link in the "Ready to file" queue located in the top-right of your Wisconsin circuit court eFiling screen. If you encounter issues with the US Bank website, wait 60 minutes before attempting to make payment for your filing from the "Ready to File" queue. After the 60 minutes has elapsed, go to the "Filings in need of payment" link to process your payment.

Q. Can eFile Support change a county record?

eFile Support cannot alter county records. Contact the respective county for assistance.

Q. I'm trying to opt in and my party is grayed out and says "eNoticed pro se user."

This issue will arise if you are retained by a client who was formerly self-represented on a case. A party may not be pro se on a case and also have representation from an attorney. Contact your client and have them opt out as an electronic party. Once they've opted out, you will be able to opt in.

Reach out to us!

Our knowledgeable staff is here to assist you. If you have questions along the way, call us at 1 (800) 462-8843, chat with us, or email us at eFileSupport@wicourts.gov. And don't forget to follow us on Twitter @ CCAP_Wisconsin!

Return to eupdates home