Wisconsin eFiling Update

document icon with checkmark on it

Here we go

Dec 12, 2019 Vol 4, Issue 4

If the holiday hustle doesn't leave you feeling a bit burned out, one may wonder if you're a few threads shy of an ugly sweater. Amidst the flurry of labyrinth-like checkout lines, record low temperatures, and blinking lights that more blink than light, take a moment to join us for a quick update on eFiling in Wisconsin.

Final set of case types and classification codes go mandatory Dec. 15

The last of five sets of case types and classification codes slated for electronic filing were enabled and rolled out on a voluntary basis to almost every county in the state this fall. Included in this group are:

  • Juvenile judgments (JJ),
  • Juvenile injunctions (JI),
  • Temporary restraining orders (TRO),
  • Temporary physical custody requests, and
  • Juvenile CHIPS 68998-Waiver of Parental Consent (Jane Doe).

Mandatory eFiling of these case types and class codes for attorneys filing in all Wisconsin circuit courts begins December 15. This date also marks the culmination of a 3-year implementation during which 35 case types and classification codes were enabled for eFiling on a county-by-county basis. You can see the implementation timeline here on the court system website. To learn more about how to eFile, take a look at our User guides and training page.

Common questions about eFiling

Take a gander through the following short list of questions and answers our eFiling call center staff compiled to help make your next eFiling experience a snap:

  • Where do I find closed cases? To view closed cases, select the "Click here to search" link near the top of the "My cases" page.
  • How can I carbon copy my associate on my eFiling notifications? Hover your mouse over your name in the top-right corner of the eFiling website. Select "Preferences" from the dropdown menu that appears. On the "User preferences" page, enter or edit the email address in the "CC email notifications" field and select the "Save" button.
  • How can I pay for a filing if I was unable to do so when I initially submitted my case or document? eFilings submitted without payment are generally not accepted. That said, you can select the "ready to file" link on the eFiling website main menu, and then use the "Filings in need of payment" link to locate and pay for a filing that was sent unpaid within 23 hours of submission. Additionally, if you filed a new case or opted into a case and were unable to pay, you can select the associated "Make payment" link on the "My cases" page within 48 hours of submission to complete payment. A guide on this topic with helpful images can be found on the eFiling website.
  • What do the various filing statuses mean? Filings in "submitted" status have been submitted to the courts and are awaiting processing. Similarly, opt-ins with a status of "opt-in pending" have been submitted to the courts and are awaiting processing. "Open" status refers to cases on which there are not yet final judgments and "closed" status refers to cases on which a final judgment does exist.

We will continue to develop and refine the eFiling system as requirements change and processes evolve. We value the feedback you provide and welcome your continued participation in shaping the system to suit the needs of our broad userbase. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have a question or concern. As always, we're happy to assist you. Happy Holidays!

Reach out to us!

Our knowledgeable staff is here to assist you. If you have questions along the way, call us at 1 (800) 462-8843, chat with us, or email us at eFileSupport@wicourts.gov. And don't forget to follow us on Twitter @ CCAP_Wisconsin!

Return to eupdates home